- They know that the majority of the American public opposes it.
- They know that it would never win in a straight up or down vote on its own.
- They know that there is only about a six month to a year supply contained in the reserve.
- They know that it will be disastrous for the caribou herds in the region.
- They know that environmental accidents will occur.
- They know there is really no such thin as clean drilling technology.
- They know that the positive economic impact for Alaska will be shortlived.
- They know that any pipeline will spread the impact beyond the small area proposed for drilling.
- They know that greater fuel efficiency vehicles would have a much greater impact on oil indepedence.
They know the only folks that are really going to benefit from this are the big oil companies. Or, as President Bush likes to call them: his base.
And you know what. We know too. Remind them that we know next time we vote.
And in the meantime, here are some things to do to indicate your displeasure.