Thursday, July 28, 2005

A Little Creepy

So, I just received a phone call at work from some group of folks putting together an alumni directory for my alma mater. This happens to everyone all the time I assume and shouldn't be a big deal, but here's where it starts to get creepy.

Somehow, they had my work number. I didn't tell them, and I've been studiously ignoring their little postcard requests for information and money to get the brand spanking new deluxe edition of their new directory. Not only did they have my work number, they knew my title, email address, and, get this, my fax number! (who the hell uses fax machines anymore anyway?) Weird. The last time I had any contact with the alumni office was when I worked for Huge Corporate Entity that everyone will recognize if I mentioned them [Ed. note: That term is stolen outright from a former coworker who shall remain nameless to protect his anonymity.]

The thing is, I know the contact information for everyone that I want to keep in touch with. And I'd say they know mine. Of course, life happens, and I've lost touch with some of my fellow alumni. But even they know how to get in touch with me or with someone who knows how to get in touch with me.

Suffice it to say, I didn't buy the deluxe or even normal edition of the directory.

UPDATE: Edited to reflect what I originally intended the post to mean. Sorry for the poor word choice; it wasn't my intent to throw bombs.

NP: "Karl Blau"- The Microphones

No comments: