Without further ado, here is what Last.fm tells me I've been listening to the most. Links are only included for bands that exist somewhere other than in my heart and memory.
- Maximo Park - Just got there album. The best parts of The Futureheads and Bloc Party. The real old school parts I mean. Who said BritPop was dead?
- Arctic Monkeys - A new (to me) band from Sheffield. Their sound seems more NY to my ear though, even though one of their songs includes the word "Mardy" (and no, I don't even know what that means).
- The Clash - Nothing to see here. Move along.
- The Charlatans - Has any ever noticed how many bands there are that start with the letter "C"? Really think about all the "C" bands you have in your collection. It boggles the mind really.
- Pulp - Rounding out an all British top 5. This list actually reminds me a bit of a mix tape I received years ago (UK vs. US - Thanks Vllack!). I still have that tape in my car by the way, and I sometimes listen to it when I forget my iPod.
- My Morning Jacket - I'm looking forward to their new album, Z, which is coming out October 4. Rumor has it that it's quite different from their earlier work.
- The White Stripes - I'm still undecided on their new album. Many of the songs really only sound like half songs--what I mean is that it seems to my ear that I'm missing the track with the other instruments. It is interesting, but not sure how emotionally satisfying (even though Blue Orchid does rock).
- The Jesus and Mary Chain - I suppose they were about due to appear on this list.
- Blur - Them too.
- Luna - Finally, another US band (looks like the UK wins this round). I'm still kind of bummed I missed their farewell tour. Maybe I'll dig up some Galaxie 500 this weekend, and listen to both bands.
Hopefully with my deadline now passed, normal posting should resume.
NP: "Ever Be the Same" - The Satellite Rides