Friday, September 23, 2005

Friday Music Report

According to my profile (brought to you by the good folks over at last.fm), I listened to the following ten artists the most over the last week.
  1. Nada Surf - I got a copy of their newest album, The Weight is a Gift, from a friend. While I don't like it as much as Let Go, it's still worth a listen
  2. The Clash - I have a deal with a friend of mine. Whenever either of us hears a Clash song on the radio, we call the other so we can both hear. It happens more rarely than you think.
  3. Stellastarr* - I also just got a copy of their self-titled album. They have the same vibe as Bloc Party, and I'm still trying to figure out if "Pulp Song" is some kind of tribute.
  4. Swervedriver - Raise has now been added to the jukebox at The UsualTM and there was much rejoicing.
  5. Death Cab for Cutie - As much as I hate to say it, I may be skipping this show next month. There are too many good shows coming, I have a very low tolerance for the 99x vibe that is bound to be present--even though I seem to be among the minority is really enjoying Plans.
  6. The Charlatans UK - Nothing to see here, move along.
  7. Elvis Costello - Does anyone else think that Elvis Costello is sort of the Woody Allen of music? You either love him or you think he's overrated. Count me among the former.
  8. Blur - I'd like to think that Gorillaz is how Blur would sound today (with a few more guitar licks) if they'd stayed together.
  9. The Connells - Just a bit of a hangover from my trip back to Lex-Vegas and some sickly sweet nostalgia.
  10. Wolf Parade - Wow. That's really all I can say about this band and their new album, Apologies to the Queen Mary. They were supposed to be the first band to break out of the Montreal scene. Too bad no one told The Arcade Fire.
There are no tracks that really stand out this week. I listened to a whole bunch of songs a couple times each, so no special mentions.

In other music news, I just got my tickets to the Bloc Party show Monday night. I'll post a full report Tuesday morning.

NP: "Love Will Tear Us Apart" - Joy Division

No comments: