Saturday, October 29, 2005

The Other Football

This isn't a post about Arsenal's 1-1 draw with Tottenham this morning, even though I could go on and on about how each half was a different game and if the squad that played most of the second half had started it, they probably would have won.

Instead, it's about how much the game has grown in the U.S. After the game, I went to get my hair cut at my usual barbershop, but this time I was wearing my Arsenal jersey. As soon as I had taken off my sweatshirt, one of the barber's said, "Hey, Jerry, there's an Arsenal fan down here." And the two of them (the younger two of the four barbers) began giving me a bit of a hard time.

Now Peachtree Battle barbershop is in the middle of college football country in Atlanta ("How 'bout them Dawgs" and all that), but they knew enough to know about Arsenal's struggle's this year. Heck, I was shocked they even recognized the jersey. If soccer has made into this barbershop, it's a lot farther along than many in the media would have you believe.

Of course I asked them who they supported. Their reply?

Wait for it.

Chelsea of course. (I asked if they were Yankees fans too, but they just laughed it off.)

No comments: