Thursday, December 08, 2005

Top 20 Albums of 2005 (Honorable Mentions)

Starting tomorrow nad over the next four weeks, I'll be posting my choices for my favorite albums from 2005--five each week. Of course, there's no shortage of such lists come the end of the year, but this will represent my favorite albums.

But, before we get started on the top 20 tomorrow with my weekly music report, I thought there were a few albums that deserved some attention even though they don't really qualify for a 2005 top twenty for one reason or another.

Here are my honorable mention albums, along with some explanation as to why they don't qualify for the main list.

The Editors - The Back Room
The only reason I don't have this one ranked high in my top twenty is that it's only available in the U.S. as an import. I'm sure to most of my readers, this is splitting hairs, but I have to draw the line somewhere. All that said, this album manages to out Interpol, well, Interpol. I've been listening to it a lot lately, and I keep think that Antics would be a whole better if it sounded like this rather than retreaded the ground they covered in Turn on the Bright Lights.



Wilco - Kicking Television
Each of Wilco's last three albums would have ended up on my end of the year list, but I don't know about this one mainly because I haven't heard it yet (I'm already hopelessly behind listening to he music I've recently acquired). So why include it on this year-end list? Well, because it's my list, and any album that begins to capture what Wilco has become live certainly deserves consideration. In the end though, I think I'll reserve the list for studio albums.



Rilo Kiley- More Adventurous
The reason this one didn't make the list? Well, it was released in August 2004. I know that was plenty of time for me to get to it last year, but I didn't listen to it until early this year. I only managed to discover Rilo Kiley by way of The Postal Service. But, any list of albums that I've really liked this year would have this one in the running at the very least. So it gets an honorable mention.



NP: "Moongirl" - Stellastarr (no extraneous asterisk for you)

No comments: