Saturday, December 31, 2005

Top Albums of 2005 - #1

1. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm


So here we are. Number 1. When I first made a draft of this list, Bloc Party wasn't even on it. I had forgotten that Silent Alarm actually came out this year. I've been listening to it for so long, I just normally assumed that it came out earlier than it actually did. But it did come out this year, so here it is. Their debut album tops the charts.

What can I say about Bloc Party? I burned this disc up for months upon months, culminating with seeing them a few months ago, and you know what? The album still sounds as fresh today as it did on my first (illegal) listen. They may have the best rythmn section going right now. The bass and drum just drive their songs--and drive them very fast.

But Bloc Party is more than just a Gang of Four knockoff, which becomes very apparent listening to the disc by the time you get to "Pioneers". The difference? The lead singer's sensibility. This disc will stand on its own for years to come. I look forward to their next (and the one after that). I predict great things for Bloc Party. Standout tracks? All of them.

Of course, this doesn't even consider Silent Alarm Remixed, which could probably merit inclusion on its own. I figured that one Bloc Party album was enough though.

Happy New Year everyone! Normal posting (sans lists) will resume next week.

NP: Bloc Party - "Luno (Bloc Party vs. Death from Above 1979)"

No comments: