Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Sandinista Project!

I'm not sure how I missed this for so long, but I ran across The Sandinista Project! this morning. This is a project to remake--track by track--the album Sandinista!, one of my favorite albums, despite its many endearing flaws.

Jimmy Guterman, the man behind the project explains its genesis this way:
December 12, 2005 is the 25th anniversary of the release of Sandinista! I've been thinking about doing something to celebrate it. A party didn't seem like the right thing. Someone suggested I write a book about it. Only a few thousand words in, it was clear that I shouldn't inflict that on anyone. So what to do?

I'm not a fan of tribute records. Nearly every one I've heard is a hit-or-miss set, usually with way more misses than hits. So I'm wary of that particular vehicle. But the more I've thought about it, the more I'm convinced that a Sandinista! tribute collection could be a sprawling mess in the tradition of Sandinista! itself, especially if I populate it with people you wouldn't expect on such a collection. The original was stuffed with surprises; so should any tribute.
Apparently, Disc 2 is now complete, and there are a couple of pretty recognizable artists involved. I'll definitely be checking in on the progress of this effort.

NP: "Duel" - Swervedriver

No comments: