Friday, December 29, 2006

2006 Music Wrap Up: Album #3

#3 – Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Show Your Bones

The second album by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Show Your Bones, was released with what seemed like little fanfare, at least compared to their previous effort. I'm not sure why. Maybe it was because the first single, "Gold Lion," seemed like such a departure from their earlier work. While this is only anecdotal, many of my friends didn't care much for that song when they first heard it.

Of course, this lack of fanfare was an absolute shame, because this really is an outstanding rock record. This time out, the band really showcases Karen O's vocal talents—I wonder if Siouxsie Sioux is getting royalty checks from the band. All the songs here are definite departures from their biggest song to date, the plaintive "Maps." These are more confident and energetic, which really is the sweet spot vocally for Karen O. In my opinion, the album peaks with "Phenomena" and "Honeybear", midway through the album. I hope the band continues to build on the foundation they've built on this recording, and I look forward to more from them in the future.

NP: "Help Me Mary" - Liz Phair

No comments: