Tuesday, December 19, 2006

2006 Music Wrap Up: Honorable Mentions

Now that I've listed my favorite shows of the year and showed the albums I actually listened to the most in 2006, it's time to get to my favorite albums of the year. This is not meant to be an "end-all, be-all" list, since there are a lot of worthy albums that I didn't listen to for whatever reason. This list merely reflects my taste and my listening habits. Some of you may find it valuable, some of you may not. At the very least, I'd like this list to make you think or respond or call me a raving lunatic (well maybe not that last one). Or even do your own list!

But before I can get to the list proper (and there are 12 items on it this year), I thought I should highlight a few albums that for one reason or other didn't make the list. Call this introduction to the list the honorable mentions.

Honorable Mention #1: EditorsThe Back Room
You may recall that I included this album in the honorable mention category last year. I still stand by that inclusion since I had been listening to it a lot, even though it was only available as an import at the time. Once it came out in the U.S., I was still listening to it quite a bit.

Whatever the weird timing of its release, I still like this album quite a bit, even though I'm not sure it would make it into the top 12 (10 is too few) albums of 2006 though. Last year I was working with a much larger list—too large for my current schedule. In any case, if you have a chance to see these guys live, do so. Even if they don't have the material to support a long set, what time they play, they rock hard.

Honorable Mention #2: Snowden Anti-Anti

I've only begun listening to this album lately, even though it came out in August. It has been mesmerizing me over the last few weeks though. I call it out for special attention now for a couple of reasons: 1) I've been listening to it a lot and 2) It's the first time since I've been doing this that an Atlanta band has merited any kind of consideration in the year-end kudos.

I haven't had the chance to see Snowden live yet, but I certainly hope to remedy that situation early in the new year. They've been touring constantly, most recently with Forward Russia!


Honorable Mention #3: Bishop Allen – 12 EPs

They make the list for releasing an EP a month over the course of the year. I don't even know what image to link to for this one. I'm certainly not going to included 12 separate images, so this one will have to suffice. You have to admire a band that stretches it's creativity so, putting out so much original material in one calendar year.

And the funny thing is, a whole lot of it is damn entertaining. Some of it is even captivating. Hopefully, they will be able to cull some of this material down, add a few more songs, and then make a full length album. Then relax a little bit. They've certainly earned it.

I'm not going to list all the albums that I considered for my list this way, but I thought these two deserved a little extra attention for the reasons stated above. Now, before I begin the list proper (hopefully tomorrow), I thought I'd list those albums that I considered for the list that didn't quite make the cut. I'm not going to say anything about any of these individually (I'm not Pitchfork after all), but I did enjoy them all, just not quite as much as the ones to follow:
I'm sure once I get through my top dozen, there will be others you think should be represented, but I'll deal with them then.

NP: "Memorial" – Explosions in the Sky

No comments: