Monday, December 31, 2007

2007 Music Review: My Favorite Album

1. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga


After all the thought and the effort put into this year's list, there really could be only one album that would occupy this slot. Sure, various drafts had other albums here, but at the end of the day (or year), I simply listened to this album more than any other album, and that has to count for something, right? This was one of the most anticipated albums of the year, and to deliver so well on it's promise so well (even more so than The National and Arcade Fire) made it a dead lock. On Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, Spoon departs from it's usually sparse arrangements to incredible effect on "I've Got Yr. Cherry Bomb" and "The Underdog", while retaining it to great effect on songs like "My Little Japanese Cigarette Case". I've been a fan of Britt Daniel and company for quite a while, but this may be their finest effort yet.

NP: "Heaven's Gate" - Ian McCulloch

No comments: