But the deal this year was 20 albums, so here goes. The write-ups this year will be briefer than normal, since I'm also spending a good bit of time ranking the best 40 albums of the noughties, which is a tremendously difficult task. Look for a post or a series of posts to drop sometime next week on that one.
Obviously, this list reflects my own personal tastes and opinions. For example, I don't listen to a lot of hip hop, so it naturally wouldn't make it into this list (though it has in the past).
When the Animal Collective album came out in January, I said then that it would probably be my album of the year, and lo and behold, that distinction held. There's not a weak track on the album, and "My Girls" could be a candidate for song of the year.
- Merriweather Post Pavilion - Animal Collective
- Veckatamist – Grizzly Bear
- Rated O – Oneida
- Hospice – The Antlers
- Logos – Atlas Sound
- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix – Phoenix
- Post Nothing – Japandroids
- Wind’s Poem – Mount Eerie
- The xx – The xx
- The Pains of Being Pure at Heart – The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
- Bitte Orca – Dirty Projectors
- Dark Was the Night – Various Artists
- A Brief History of Love – The Big Pink
- Dragonslayer – Sunset Rubdown
- Middle Cyclone – Neko Case
- It’s Blitz! – Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- Fever Ray – Fever Ray
- Blood Bank – Bon Iver
- Know Better Learn Faster– Thao with the Get Down Stay Down
- Hometowns – The Rural Alberta Advantage
2010 looks to be a good year as well, with new albums from Arcade Fire, Spoon, Liars, TV on the Radio, Interpol, Wolf Parade, and Magnetic Fields all in the works.