This was a weird year for me musically. During my recovery from surgery, I had a lot of time on my hands. So much time that new music that I was interested in didn't really fill my listening needs. Really. I spent a good chunk of two months confined to the house with nothing else to do but play low impact video games and listen to music (and download, mostly legally, a lot of it). So, I spent a lot of time this year on the "back catalogue". I rediscovered Big Star, delved more deeply into The Kinks, Zeppelin, and the Who (among others). Heck, Big Star is in the top 5 of listened to artists this year.
Also, I also rediscovered vinyl and dug into my actual, physical LPs for the first time in many, many years.
That said, there was some fantastic music that came out this year that I'd like to highlight. Of course, this is not a best of list, because no one that I know can listen to everything, and there are things that I haven't gotten to yet (Suede's return). This is merely a snapshot of my favorite albums of the year (part 1). Here are my favorites for 10 to 20 in no particular order (the next post will rank the top 10 with some comment):
20. Speedy Ortiz – Major Arcana
19. Los Campesinos! – No Blues
18. Local Natives – Hummingbird
17. The Joy Formidable – Wolf’s Law
16. Parquet Courts – Light Up Gold
15. Camper van Beethoven – La Costa Perdida
14. White Denim – Corsicana Lemonade
13. Bill Callahan - Dream River
12. Neko Case – The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You
11. Okkervil River – The Silver Gymnasium
Part 2with the top 10 and some commentary to follow in the coming days.